Aids and Adaptations

We want you to be happy in your home, living independently for as long as you wish to. If you need any adaptations to your home to ensure you have a safe and comfortable living environment, then you can ask for help.

Requesting adaptions

If you want a simple aid or adaption to your home, such as grab rails, handrails and lever taps please email 

Major adaption work

For all other work, an occupational therapist referral is required. Please contact your local council using the links at the bottom of the page.

Major works include:

  • Installing level-access showers
  • Stairlifts
  • Wheelchair accessible kitchens
  • Large ramps


What happens?


This type of work is means tested and you may be able to get help to pay for some or all of the costs involved through a Disabled Facilities Grant. This will depend on your financial situation and the work needed.

Every request is prioritised on health and mobility needs and you can expect the following will happen:

  • An occupational therapist will meet with you and will let us know what work they think you need completing
  • We will check that your home is suitable for an adaption
  • Sometimes we might jointly decide that a move to another property with existing adaptions might be better for you
  • If we do not agree that the requested work is suitable, we will let you and the occupational therapist know.

Once an adaption has been recognised you would need to contact your housing officer who will coordinate with your support provider and occupational therapist to make sure funding is available to meet any costs and that all works are carried out correctly.

Find your local council